OBJECTIVES – To provide Ph.D. students with an opportunity to build their understanding, skills and confidence in finding their career path, (in- or) outside academia. Take home messages are given as “Four Laws of …”.
- Project plan your career (e.g. PISPAR) and network
- Writing down your SMART goals is the first thing to make it happen
- Self-knowledge is the most important component of finding the right career
- Create contingency plans: Plan A & B with matching skills, values, interests
- Look out for formal mentorship programs
- Do not wait for someone to come to you!
- Start out small and handle refusals constructively
- Beware of “dementorship”